Sunday, January 10, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 11 Broken Dishes - 16 Calico Puzzle - 21 Contrary Wife

  Block 11 - Broken Dishes

I think this one is my favorite this week. 

All scrap fabrics.  I decided to use the HST method where you sew around the edges of 2 larger squares right-sides-together, and then cut a criss-cross through the middle, yielding 4 smaller HSTs.  That seemed the most efficient way to get all those HSTs done this afternoon.  The resulting HSTs were over-sized, so I needed to trim them down.  That also cut down on the wonk factor.  None of them were stretched out or abused -- Yes, I'm getting better at pressing those sensitive bias edges.

Those greens came from some of the very first quilts I made over 15 years ago.

 

Block 16 - Calico Puzzle

The blocks this week only took a little over 2 hours.  I felt like I got a break -- no paper piecing!   And it was a welcome break from the news this week.

 

Block 21 - Contrary Wife

Not so sure about the color combos in this one.  Those purples in the corners are not quite right.  I think the neutral cream would have worked better than the silver snow.  This one may be a candidate for a re-do some day.  But not today.

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 17.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

 

No comments: