Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Winter Blues Quilt is Complete


Finished this gorgeous quilt in time to still use it this winter!

I did a simple 2-inch grid pattern, using the walking foot.

Here's a photo of my set-up for quilting on a domestic sewing machine.
I have a quilt lift system that takes some of the weight of the quilt off the table, reducing drag and friction on the bed of the sewing machine.  
It helps, but it's still a very physical task.  

Here's a detail of the clamps used to hold onto the quilt.  They are easy to open and re-clamp.

They are suspended from a rod over my sewing area with bungie cords, so they give and take as I work.   Read more about it here: 

Free-Motion Quilt Suspension System and Other Pain-Free Quilting Modifications


I used a Brilliant Blues  jelly roll and the Fuzzy Logic pattern comes from Brenda Henning's Strip Therapy booklet.  It's become my go-to pattern, because it is so easy and so satisfying.


I had to look up the instructions for joining the ends of a binding again.   This one simple task is still troublesome, even after so many years of quilting.   Last time, I found this great video that simplified it -- no odd angles or math.   No over-thinking with this method.   Here's the written version of this method. 

 


The label in one of the corners.

I have anew printer now, and I'm not sure I can print to fabric anymore.  That's something I'll have to experiment with -- including what fabric sheets, or treatment will work best with the type of printer I have now. 

Since I used a silk batt in this quilt, I had to look up the care and washing instructions.  The last task of making a quilt is washing it.  I'm convinced it brings the stitches, fabric, and batting together as one cohesive unit:  It makes them a team!   In this video from Hobbs, the manufacturer of the silk batt I used says to wash on delicate, limiting agitation and NO HOT water.  Then you can put in it the dryer on delicate or air fluff. 

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Soooo beautiful! And I think you are right about what the first washing after quilting does and I love how you express it of becoming a team.