Monday, January 04, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks 15 Buzzard's Roost - 31 Evening Star - 87 Star Gardener

Block 31 - Evening Star

 My favorite block from this week's set.  I used some leftover fabric from another project and the long leftover pine fabric.  I love chickadees, so why not feature them on The Farmer's Wife quilt?

This was relatively easy to construct with the flying geese tutorial.  [No paper piecing!]


 Block 87 - Star Gardener 

This one looks like a royal pain-in-the-pattootie to do with so many little pieces, but it wasn't really all that bad -- No paper piecing!

Slow and steady and it came together.  Choose the color layout.  Then start with the flying geese blocks, then the half-square triangles.  Don't mash them too hard at the pressing stage-- and it's done!


Block 15 - Buzzard's Roost

Here's the ugly duckling in the set.  This block looks gangly and awkward to start with.  Just doesn't quite come together right.  I did my best to make it look better with the choice of colors -- the blue batik dresses it up nicely, but it's still sort of like lipstick on a pig, so to speak.  You can tell there were a few mishaps with this one -- I put it down to my frustration with paper-piecing.  The fabrics I cut didn't quite fill the spaces they were intended to, so I pieced in some extra fill-in fabric, hence the extra seams, and a tuck.  I was running out of time on the weekend (My Christmas vacation) and didn't care about it enough to fix it properly.   Just wasn't feeling it with this one.  Enough said ...

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 16.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

 

No comments: