Thursday, March 04, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 44 Gentleman's Fancy - 47 Homemaker - 53 Jacknife


 

Block 47 - Homemaker

I finished the 3 blocks early this week!  They were not so difficult (some require cutting lots of little pieces to odd measurements, or the dreaded paper piecing).  This set did they take as long as some weeks.   And no clunkers in the bunch!   I could work on them in the evenings after work.    

Of all the blocks this week, this one is my favorite.  I like the exploding star shape and the colors.  I finally found a good mix between the medium green and the darker blue.  And of course, I love the purple.   That center patch looks like there's a bird flying off ...  a dove, or something.   Now you see it, don't you?    I am using up the last bits of this particular purple, which was scraps leftover from a giant Trip Around the World Quilt my mom made years ago. I may have to look through her scraps to see if I can forage any more of this lovely batik!  

 Just the corner triangles were paper-pieced, and with only 3 bits of fabric, it was not difficult.

The hardest part of this block was the set-in corners where the purple, green and blue points meet.  But they referred us to a tutorial, so it was not a big deal.  


Block 53 - Jackknife  

The corners of this one were paper-pieced, but not difficult.

The hourglass blocks were not hard either.  The trickiest part is trimming them down to the correct size, and keep the center point in the middle.  I still don't have that down quite yet.  I still like this color combination of purple, green, dark blue and the white background.  



Block 44 - Gentleman's Fancy

This one was entirely paper-pieced, but it made sense in the sequence of how it was laid out.  I made sure to cut all the pieces oversize, so I didn't have any shortages after flipping it into place.  I wind up using twice as much fabric (and wasting it) that way.  But at least it prevents the swearing and frustration factor when things come up short.   This is essentially an Economy Block -- ironic that it was paper-pieced.  The teal blue went nicely with the green batik. 

Now I have the weekend free to work on some other things -- like the Hollyhock Quilt, or just going for a walk with a friend I haven't seen in over a year ...

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 25.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

 

No comments: