Thursday, March 11, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 37 Flower Pot - 57 Morning - 100 Weathervane

 

Block 100 - Weathervane

I am still working ahead on the Farmer's Wife blocks.  This was not a bad set.  This one and the next are basically the same blocks, with only some color changes for emphasis.   Just a little paper-piecing on the pentagon points in the green blocks.  For the half-square triangles, I learned not to bother with trying to cut 7/8 inch blocks.  I just cut them 2 inches, make the blocks, then cut them down to the 1-1/2 inch final size.  That seems to work much better for my eyes and the rulers I have to work with.  

I was running out of a suitable green, so purchased some new green batiks to finish this stage of the blocks.   Gorgeous!

Block 57 - Morning (with Chirping Frogs, or Swamp Thing)

This is basically the same block as Weathervane above, except that the cross-piece blocks were supposed to be all the same color / fabric.  They even recommended using a longer strip down the middle instead of breaking it up into 3 blocks.  So I picked through my scrap bin, and found a border fabric left over from a Julie Patchkis (sp?) quilt.  It was a little wide for this job, so I cinched it up down the middle (If you look closely, you can see the seam.)    The light blue didn't quite work all the way around the block, so I opted for the cream background to offset the green batik.    I am very happy with this block.  And yes, they have frogs on the farm, out in the country -- at least when they don't go crazy with herbicides and pesticides.  It's balanced without being too symmetrical. 

The green batik in the corners looks like frog feet to me, hence the altered names for this particular block.



 Block 37 - Flower Pot

 This one was the "Meh" block this week.  The top part was paper-pieced -- putsy, but do-able.

Not much else to say about this one.    On to the next batch!

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 27

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

 

No comments: