Saturday, March 27, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 43 Garden Path - 77 Seasons - 99 WCTU


Block 99 - W.C.T.U. 

The blocks this round were a little putsy, but not bad.  Just took patience and care with the cutting.  The secret with the corner blocks on this one was to cut the pieces oversize and then cut it down to the right size after the fact.  

If you are wondering what WCTU stands for it it is something like Women's ?? Temperance Union -- or something like that.  They were fighting for prohibition.  

 

Block 77 - Seasons  

This was the only block this round to be paper-pieced.  Not too bad!  It was quick and simple.

 

Block 43 - Garden Path

Nope -- This one was NOT paper-pieced.  Although they gave us a paper pattern for the blue frame with mitered corners.  For the life of me, I could not get those to come together smoothly, so I started over and did it my way and it came together just fine. 

I think that might be it for the orange for a while ...   Starting to feel a little too tropical!

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 32.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

 

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Womenn's CHRISTIAN Temperance Union. I have an old clipping telling about my mom and her sister singing at one of the local meetings in South Dakota. I don't think they were members at that time, just the entertainment. Although, that sister, my aunt, may have indeed joined or at least have been influenced as I remember how adamant she was about having never taken even a small sip of alcohol in her life. It became sort of a challenge to my brothers who tried to find ways to get her to drink something - just a taste. They finally resorted to ordering her a tasty concoction while out to dinner, something that looked innocent enough but concealed some tasteless alcohol, then did the big AHA! after she drank some of it. A bit cruel, this joke on her, but really, we DID get tired of her holier than thou lectures about alcohol and her never having had any. I'm trying to see how that block has any relationship to the WCTU!