Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 55 Linoleum - 69 Practical Orchard - 70 Prairie Queen

Block 70 - Prairie Queen 

This set of blocks was so fast and easy, I did all 4 of them on a Monday evening.  I don't think that's ever happened before in the history of my working on this project!  But that's the magic and simplicity of 9-patch blocks.  

This one is called Prairie Queen, made with green and blue batiks, along with a new background neutral fabric, as I am running low on the 5 yards of viney white-on-white I started with.    I love how those batiks come together with saturated colors broken up with textures and lights and darks.  

No paper piecing for this one. Yay!

 

 

 Block 55 - Linoleum

Not even the corner blocks for this one were paper pieced--So that made me happy.  It was another chance to inject a little more orange into the overall color scheme.  


 

Block 69 - Practical Orchard 

I liked this one so much, I made it twice.    Once with the batiks you see above, and the whimsical fairytale Julie Patckiss (sp?) fabrics you see below.     Frog princes, mermaids, starfish and sturgeon.

I probably should have tilted that sturgeon so as not to cutoff his nose. 

 I still can't believe how fast this set of blocks came together.   

I am getting better at trimming the hourglass blocks to size and keeping them centered. Success!

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 31.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

 

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Argh - the dreaded machine breakdown! I am in the same boat as you, the shop where I could take my Viking a couple hours away unless I want to trust it to a general repair person (i.e. probably not a warranty repair person). Since my in-town Viking Dealer retired I'm not even sure how long ago - years -, mine hasn't been in for a check-up. In fact, the last time my Viking guy worked on it, he said there was nothing for him to do, I was doing such a good job of keeping it clean of lint. And so, I just continue on with fingers crossed . . .

Less stressful with a back-up machine (which I also have but it doesn't do freemotion well) but am glad that it sounds like you will have a relatively quick turnaround time and were able to finish that last bit of quilting.