Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Clothing Patterns for Hand Woven Fabrics

Another reference collection to help me keep track of clothing patterns for handwoven fabric.

Back in the day, I used to make dresses -- wedding dresses (including my own), medieval garb for SCA.  The trouble with that was by the time I finished something, it no longer fit me.  Welcome to middle age and motherhood! Ugh!  That' when I turned to quilting here it didn't matter how long it took to finish a project, and it was sure to fit when you were done! 

And here I am contemplating the prospect of sewing clothing again.  I would hate to put all that time and effort into designing a project, dying yarns, warping the loom, weaving cloth, cutting into that woven cloth, and then coming out with an end product I couldn't wear.  Grrrrr!

 

I had to laugh a bit -- The lady in the Artistic Artifacts video had the same experience!


Yes, it's a very attractive idea to start with a sort of "blank" or shell,
so I wouldn't have to start from scratch with the clothing.



  • Clothing Patterns from the Weaving Room by Susan Lilly offers some "timeless" patterns that I think might work:

    Although this book came out in the 1980s, it's hard to find now.  You can get a pdf / digital copy on etsy for $20.


  • I could not find a source / patter for this, but it looks very simple.  Basically a scarf for the front part attached to a very simple boxy rectangle vest.  This seems simple and do-able.
  •  

  

  •  

Vogue 8000 (Sandra Betzina: Try it with handwoven fabrics.)


 

I may add more to this post as I find clothing patterns I think might work for handwoven fabric.

No comments: