Sunday, December 12, 2021

Wearable Wovens with Daryl Lancaster


Warning: This is going to be a fan-girl info dump to help me keep track of some things related to Daryl Lancaster, The Weaver Who Sews. 

I've been fascinated by Daryl Lancaster's blog for a few years now.  As The Weaver who Sews, she encourages weavers to cut [Yikes!] into their handwoven fabrics and make something wearable out of it.  To that end, she has designed and sells several garment patterns.  She also does workshops guiding weavers through the process of altering patterns to fit, and laying out the patterns on their yardage, and finally sewing it into the final garment.

So far, I don't think I've ever woven anything fine enough for garments--rayon scarves would be the closest thing.  On top of that, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to make those gorgeous hand painted warps like these from Blazing Shuttles [That could be a whole other separate blog post!]:

  • What yarn to start with?
  • What size (finer)?
  • How much to buy to have enough for yardage to make an article of clothing?
  • How to make that painted warp repeat as specific intervals -- again with the idea of weaving yardage.
  • What weave structure?

I'm sure she teaches classes for that too -- Some of them at Siever's School of Fiber Arts in Door County, WI--Some day when I retire, I'll be able to take some classes up there!  

She does have some very reasonably-priced drafts for particular handwoven fabrics.

She does offer a 5-part series of garment construction videos on Long Thread Media.  I am considering getting at least the first video as a Christmas present from my DH.

Daryl Lancaster Garment Construction Videos:

The Weaver Sews You Tube Channel 

  • For a PDF of individual videos with their topics and time codes, please click here
  • For a PDF of topics in my YouTube channel, please click here.
  • These indexes will live on my website under EXTRAS, right next to the directions for all of my patterns. There is a date on the page with the links to let you know when the index was last updated.

She also has several bound monographs (books essentially), covering different aspects of weaving and design. 

The Weaver Sews Pattern Collection

The beautiful thing about these patterns is that they are designed for handwovens, and the bodies of older women, who are not model thin 20-year olds.  How refreshing!

  • 500 Vest A or B    
    • Look Book
    • I really like this one -- and it wouldn't require as much handwoven fabric, if you supplemented with something else for the sides: 


  • 200 Jacket with Shawl Coller
    •  Look Book
    • I really like this one -- would love to be able to weave fabric like this from a hand-painted warp.  See how all the colors line up at the same general levels:

Lots to chew on here ...  Challenges for future projects.

No comments: