Saturday, December 25, 2021

Batik Place Matts for Christmas

I worked up some new place matts for our household, given as a Christmas present to my husband who cooks.   Used mostly batiks and batting scraps with this general pattern/technique from Night Owl's Fat Quarter Place Matts.  I did enlarge them with an extra piece of fabric at the top / bottom.

 

 

My poor sewing machine has some issues these days ...  There seems to be some give in the post where you attach the sewing feet.  When I move the fabric, it also shifts that post and the stalk where the needle attaches -- just ever-so-slightly.  I must have broken 7-8 needles in the process of free-motion quilting these place matts.  I can't use the 1/4-inch foot anymore because the needle comes down on the foot instead of through the little hole.   Hmmmh-- I may have to retire this one and take up one of my mom's fancy-dancy sewing machines.   Maybe I'm just too hard on it?  I did finish multiple quilts this year, and several more tops!  Maybe I can crack it open and tighten up whatever is loose ...

Extra practice with the bindings.  Even after all this time, I still get stuck on joining the beginning and ends of the binding.   

The batting was cut off of one of the quilts finished earlier in the year.  Wool, I think.


Before (left/upper) and after (right/lower) washing and fluffing.



 Before (left/upper) and after (right/lower) washing and fluffing, with a little more of that crinkle texture.

That wet finish has a way of making everything come together as a team, as one cohesive unit.  The stitching sinks into the batting and the fabric.  

It was a Christmas present, so I had to wait until the gift had been given before I could post it here on Sweet Leaf.  ;-)

 

Here's something else that arrived in time for Christmas.

I'm just so tickled and amused to see a killer whale wearing a sweater and advertising chocolate.

 LOL!

No comments: